Friday, February 12, 2010

Memories of Alexis

Tonight I found a blog about a little baby girl who drowned in her pool at age two. Her fourth birthday was on the 10th.. what a sweet but sad story. It brought me back to when Alexis, our neighbors daughter who drowned in her pool when she was only a year old. I remember that day like it was yesterday & its a day I will never forget. I remember her laughter, her brown curly hair, her bright beautiful eyes & smile that could light up a room & I see a lot of Alexis in my daughter even thought there is no blood relation. I was in Fifth grade when Alexis passed & it wasn't the first person to pass in my life but it was one of the saddest & hardest to except for me.
I was home sick that day or I guess you could say playing hooky.. I remember thinking about going over to Alexis' house to play with her but hesitant because I didn't want my parents to know I wasn't really sick, so I stayed home instead. I remember I was watching General Hospital (I know I was way to young to watch that show but my babysitter had me hooked) & there was a breaking news story.. that is when my sisters where on there bawling their eyes out screaming & down on there knees.. I instantly started crying because I was so afraid & I hurt & my heart froze. Then the news broke that an infant was found in her pool by her father & they were unable to revive her. They said that her dad (who worked nights while the mom worked days) had taken a nap while Alexis was asleep & while he was asleep she climbed out of her crib unlocked the patio door & fell in the pool. They said that from the weight of her diaper & her inability to swim is what lead to her drowning. I remember them saying it was around noon or so & it crushed me because that was right around the time I was debating to go over there. I remember my mom getting home & the tears in her eyes & I knew she felt the pain that any mother would feel. When my sister Nicole came home I remember her not wanting to talk & just hiding in her room crying.. I remember our house was a sad quite house for days maybe even weeks after this. For years I have beaten my self up.. asking why "Why didn't I just go over there if only I would have she would still be with us". Now as I write this my heart hurts & I feel the sadness that I have never dealt with or talked about sit in & my heart breaks. Michelle (her mother) I don't think ever moved past it but her dad continued living in the home.. but Michelle moved away. I remember my sisters where allow to attend the funeral but I was not. My mom thought that I was just too young.. which at the time made me angry but now I understand. I remember my sisters taking me to her grave sight later & showing me her beautiful butterfly gravestone (which was perfect & is why I have loved butterflies ever since) & I remember my life forever being changed from the moment on. I remember as a kid when I was having a bad day or just needing to escape (which I did a lot) riding my bike to the cemetery (which was down the street from our house) & sitting there talking to her or just sitting there. I never told anyone about doing that.. I thought they might think I was silly but I remember going there once & seeing Michelle there all alone crying.. & my heart just ached. Now as a mom I think because of Alexis I am so protective.. so afraid of leaving Shiloh or putting my trust in anyone watching over her because of this.. I am so afraid of ever having to experience a loss of a child & because of that I am the over protective over barring mom but I am OK with that because it means she is safe.. I don't think my heart could handle loosing her. Most don't know of Alexis.. I have only told a few people because I can't seem to make it through telling the story without crying or having anxiety but I miss her & think of her often. I have always said even before I was a mom that I would NEVER have a pool.. No Exceptions ..not even when my children know how to swim.. & I am still staying strong to that & I know I always will. I haven't been to her grave sight in many many years but I have driven by the house.. & every time.. I get choked up & I wonder what would be if she was still with us today.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting & leaving me your thoughts

xo Melissa

Labels

Shiloh (91) Pictures (85) Babbling (75) Baby #2 (56) Gabriella (39) Family Life (29) Wordless Wednesday (29) Video (25) 30 Day's of Truth (23) Baby #3 (22) Top 2 Tuesday (20) Flashback Friday (18) Family Fun Days (15) Not Me Monday (14) photography (14) Holiday's (12) SOOC (11) Birthday/Anniversary (10) Blog (10) Decor Ideas (9) A Picture To Remember (8) Life (8) Medical Issues (8) Friday Fives (6) Hair (6) I Heart Thursday's (6) New Years Resolution 2011 (6) Stores I love (6) Crafty Ideas (5) Decor (5) Food (5) Post-It-Note-Tuesday (5) Stream of Consciousness (5) Weight Loss (5) Loss (4) 365 Project (3) Church (3) Domestic Violence (3) Emma (3) Family Photo's (3) Not My Child Monday (3) Organization (3) QOTD (3) Stories of lost loved ones (3) Wish List (3) "OH MOM" Monday (2) ACTS Retreat (2) About (2) About Me (2) Goals (2) My Story (2) New Features and Updates (2) Photo Challenge (2) Prayers for this Blog Family (2) Religious (2) Sandra Kay (2) Schedules (2) cleaning (2) 30 Photos (1) 8 years (1) Baking (1) Before Photo's (1) Blog Awards (1) Blogging about other Blogs (1) Budgeting (1) Chemicals (1) Cookies (1) Day Off (1) Donate (1) Easy Meals (1) Epilepsy (1) Facebook Mama's Group (1) Faith (1) Friday Photo Challenge (1) Friends (1) Friendship (1) Gifts (1) Giving (1) Healthy Eating (1) Homemade (1) I am back (1) Meal Ideas (1) Meals (1) Minivan (1) Money (1) Motivation (1) My Job (1) New Friendships (1) Paper Mama Photo Challenge (1) Pinterest (1) Prayers (1) Pregnancy Progress (1) Reason (1) Recipes (1) Relgion (1) Scentsy Independent Consutlant (1) Shopping (1) Show Us Your Life (1) Sleep (1) Tags (1) The Walking Dead (1) Throw Back Thursday (1) To-The-Top (1) Toxins (1) Vegan (1) Vegetarian (1) Weigh in (1) What I'm Loving Wednesday (1) Workout (1) Your Health (1) after photo's (1) blogging again (1) dehydrator (1) healthy snacks food (1) kids (1) love (1) marriage (1) norwex (1) readers (1) self help tools (1) shakeology (1) snacks (1) stats (1) strawberries (1)