Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Sleep Baby Sleep

Yep this above picture is me to a T. I don't get enough sleep at night so I nap during the day when I should be getting things done that I can't do while my children are awake.
So for the last lets say almost FIVE years we have lacked sleep. Something so important to our everyday, our health & state of mind. When Shiloh was born I was so paranoid to not have her by my side at all times. I would wake up if she breathed funny, made a sound or didn't move for a while. The paranoid mom in me was so completely in love with her & taken away by how much love I had for her in such a short time that it put a huge fear in me. Now I know doctors, nurses & a lot of other moms will frown on co-sleeping. I am not saying it is safe but it was what was best for me & Shiloh. I will however be completely honest, I am regretting how long I have let it continue.

At 1 we tried to transition her to her own bed. We let her cry it out in her crib, but that led to long sleepless nights & it didn't get easier, in fact it got worse. We bought her a super cute toddler bed & made the experience super exciting decorating her room & buying cool night lights, but still at bed time she would scream & make her self sick so back in our bed she ended up. At 2 we said okay enough is enough I was 5 almost 6 months pregnant with Gabriella & I was loosing a ton of sleep having her in our bed. Not only is she a bed hog, but at this point she was falling off our bed, almost putting me into preterm labor a few times. She would climb over us in her sleep & fall.. & Stephen & I would both jump up panicked . So we then decided to put our queen bed from our guest room in her room & one of us started sleeping with her. This worked for a while but then it separated Stephen & I & that meant he (because he was usually the one to sleep with her) would go to bed by 8 or 9pm & I was left all alone which made life a little lonely. So after a while she was back in our room again.
After much fight we finally have her in her bed at almost 5 years old but in the middle of the night (most nights) in comes Shiloh. I have put baby gates, child locks on our door & hers & all that does is leave her waking the entire house in the middle of the night because she is scared & freaked out because she can't get out. All of these have again left us with less sleep & grumpy.

Now to add to Shiloh I have had two more children gone through the 4 or less hours feeding schedules, teething & sick nights. So when you add this all together it has left me simply exhausted & not so fun to be around. I usually let Stephen sleep since he works such long hours & I stay home. I honestly am at my wits end on this one.. this momma needs some honest sleep that is for sure!

Right now I am in the middle of reading Jessica Alba's The Honest Life (amazing book) which I honestly wish I would have had the opportunity to of read um 5 1/2 years ago, but thank heavens for it now that is for sure. In her book on page 164 she talks about Sleep Training (Caveat). I have not ever been introduced to this form of sleeping or training or what ever you want to call it & man do I wish someone would have slapped me in the face with it sooner (j/k no slapping please).

Here is the schedule & its not for everyone, heck I am not even sure its right for us but its worth a try. Also make sure your partner is on board because routine has to be fit for everyone because if not it will not work. Also if you have an infant please check with your child's doctor before starting this. If I would have had this in hand when my girls were infants I would not have started it until they were sleeping through the night so at about 6 month old or older.

7:00 AM: Wake Up 
9:00 - 9:45 AM: Morning Nap 
12:30 - 2:30 PM: Afternoon Nap 
4:30 - 5:00 PM: Early Evening Nap 
6:30 PM Bath & Unwind 
7:00 PM: Bedtime 

So my only fear with this is that Stephen will not see the girls because most nights he does not get home until after 7pm. But something has to give here right? So I may use this method just change it up a little bit to work with our family lifestyle. I think 7 to 7 is awesome & would love to be on that schedule but my husband works retail & it would break him to not at least have 30 minutes with them each day. So here is my tweaked version.


8:00 AM: Wake Up 
10:00 - 10:45 AM: Morning Nap 
1:30 - 3:30 PM: Afternoon Nap 
5:30 - 6:00 PM: Early Evening Nap 
7:30 PM Bath & Unwind 
8:00 PM: Bedtime 

Now Shiloh is almost 5 & even though I would love for all of them to nap this much throughout the day for her its not possible. Plus it will be nice to have some time just her & I to do things we can't do while the littles are awake so her schedule will be as follows:

8:00 AM: Wake Up 
10:00 - 10:45 AM: Art Time
1:30 - 3:30 PM: Afternoon Nap 
5:30 - 6:00 PM: Mommy & Me learning time
7:30 PM Bath & Unwind 
8:00 PM: Bedtime

I am super excited to start this new schedule. But in order to make it work you have to be consistent it says & you have to wake them up on the dot everyday & put them to bed at the same time everyday. I know what some of you are already thinking.. but how do I ever go anywhere or do anything. Here is my take on it.. make a schedule.. I have never been a schedule type of momma but honestly when I do have routine my house & family function so much better then if we go with the flow. So give it a try see what works, if it doesn't tweak it a bit like I did. I figured I have from 11:00 am everyday to 1:00 pm to get out of the house for story time, gym time, grocery shopping or just to get out & do something. Honestly it can work you just have to make it work. I am just praying for less tears at bedtime, less cranky kids & parents & more sleep at night.. so I am on board.. are you?? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for visiting & leaving me your thoughts

xo Melissa

Labels

Shiloh (91) Pictures (85) Babbling (75) Baby #2 (56) Gabriella (39) Family Life (29) Wordless Wednesday (29) Video (25) 30 Day's of Truth (23) Baby #3 (22) Top 2 Tuesday (20) Flashback Friday (18) Family Fun Days (15) Not Me Monday (14) photography (14) Holiday's (12) SOOC (11) Birthday/Anniversary (10) Blog (10) Decor Ideas (9) A Picture To Remember (8) Life (8) Medical Issues (8) Friday Fives (6) Hair (6) I Heart Thursday's (6) New Years Resolution 2011 (6) Stores I love (6) Crafty Ideas (5) Decor (5) Food (5) Post-It-Note-Tuesday (5) Stream of Consciousness (5) Weight Loss (5) Loss (4) 365 Project (3) Church (3) Domestic Violence (3) Emma (3) Family Photo's (3) Not My Child Monday (3) Organization (3) QOTD (3) Stories of lost loved ones (3) Wish List (3) "OH MOM" Monday (2) ACTS Retreat (2) About (2) About Me (2) Goals (2) My Story (2) New Features and Updates (2) Photo Challenge (2) Prayers for this Blog Family (2) Religious (2) Sandra Kay (2) Schedules (2) cleaning (2) 30 Photos (1) 8 years (1) Baking (1) Before Photo's (1) Blog Awards (1) Blogging about other Blogs (1) Budgeting (1) Chemicals (1) Cookies (1) Day Off (1) Donate (1) Easy Meals (1) Epilepsy (1) Facebook Mama's Group (1) Faith (1) Friday Photo Challenge (1) Friends (1) Friendship (1) Gifts (1) Giving (1) Healthy Eating (1) Homemade (1) I am back (1) Meal Ideas (1) Meals (1) Minivan (1) Money (1) Motivation (1) My Job (1) New Friendships (1) Paper Mama Photo Challenge (1) Pinterest (1) Prayers (1) Pregnancy Progress (1) Reason (1) Recipes (1) Relgion (1) Scentsy Independent Consutlant (1) Shopping (1) Show Us Your Life (1) Sleep (1) Tags (1) The Walking Dead (1) Throw Back Thursday (1) To-The-Top (1) Toxins (1) Vegan (1) Vegetarian (1) Weigh in (1) What I'm Loving Wednesday (1) Workout (1) Your Health (1) after photo's (1) blogging again (1) dehydrator (1) healthy snacks food (1) kids (1) love (1) marriage (1) norwex (1) readers (1) self help tools (1) shakeology (1) snacks (1) stats (1) strawberries (1)